Made To Order Wood Blinds. Coleman Bag Awning. Drapery Fabric By The Yard.
Made To Order Wood Blinds
- Made from various types of wood, these are popular horizontal blinds.
- UpAvailable with 2" or 1" slats wood blinds are the perfect alternative to shutters. Made from basswood or ramin wood they are among the most beautiful and enduring window treatments available today. They are also very good natural insulators.
- We offer Basswood Blinds in 2” or 2 ?” slats that run horizontally. Real Wood Blinds can be painted or stained. Sometimes referred to as Plantation Blinds.
- to specification; "he had the shoes made to order"
- If you find anything of interest on any of our lists you will need to check that it is still in stock. To do this you will need to:
- Click here or call Coach Andrew Shanks at 757.636.8055
- produced by a manufacturing process; "bought some made goods at the local store; rope and nails"
- (of a bed) having the sheets and blankets set in order; "a neatly made bed"
- Made or formed in a particular place or by a particular process
- successful or assured of success; "now I am a made man forever"- Christopher Marlowe
St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church , Parish House, and Sunday School
St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church in Manhattanville has been in continuous service for almost 175 years on its original site. In 1823, the village founders solicited the Rev. William Richmond, rector of St. Michael's in Bloomingdale, who had been conducting services in a mission school in Manhattanville for three years, to help them organize this parish and a free school. A white wood frame church building with a steeple was constructed in 1824-26 facing Lawrence Street (today West 126th Street). Several generations of Manhattanville's founding families have worshipped at St. Mary's including Jacob Schieffelin, who laid out the village's roads, and his wife Hanna Lawrence, whose surname marked the street on which they donated the land to erect the first church building. In 1831, in deference to the poor constituents of its parish, St. Mary's abolished pew rentals, becoming the first "free pew" Protestant Episcopal church in the city.
The parish house, when erected as a parsonage in 1851, housed the village's first resident clergyman.
In 1890, St. Mary's commissioned a Sunday school building, now located at the rear of the church, by architect George Keister. In 1908-09, the frame church was replaced by the present English Gothic-style brick church designed by Theodore E. Blake with the prestigious Carrere & Hastings firm. Despite the urbanization of the surrounding area, St. Mary's complex of church, Sunday school, and white frame parish house surrounding a garden evokes the early days of the village of Manhattanville.
History of Manhattanville
A dormant geological fault line, perhaps assisted by an ancient channel of the Hudson River, probably forged the ravine that came to contain the village of Manhattanville. The first non-native settlement began around the mid-seventeenth-century as some Dutch villagers of Nieuw Haerlem made their way west across the island to this outlying valley they called Moertje David's Fly. Probably first used as pasture lots, the meadows sloped between the rim of Joachim Pieter's Hills (at today's West 134th St.) to the north and the steeper southern cliffs, spliced by a rustic path (today's St. Nicholas Ave.) that branched northwest off the Indian trail to Spuyten Duyvil, past the Bloomingdale road toward the Harlem Cove. It was along these southern hills in 1712 (after the English capture of Manhattan in 1664) that seven lots among New Harlem's first division of lands were delineated as farm properties.
During the Revolutionary War period, the valley facilitated George Washington's retreat from the British on Long Island towards his headquart
ers at the Roger Morris House (Morris-Jumel Mansion, 1775, a designated New York City Landmark, West 160th Street and Edgecombe Avenue). The general induced the British to advance into the "Hollow Way," as the valley was then known, whereupon his own American troops drove them back, defeating them in the bloody Battle of Harlem Heights in a nearby buckwheat field just to the south (where Barnard College now stands) on September 16, 1776.
During the War of 1812, the anticipation of British attacks resulted in the construction of a series of fortifications that, in the Manhattanville area, included Block House No. 4, on the present-day southeaatern corner of West 123rd Street at Amsterdam Avenue, on the rocky outcrop of what is now Morningside Park's northern end, and the Manhattanville Pass (or Barrier Gate), a military checkpoint that straddled the Bloomingdale Road at present-day Broadway and West 123rd Street and which was commanded by Fort Laight at present-day Broadway and West 124th Street.
In approximately 1806 city surveyor Adolphus Loss surveyed parcels of land and laid out streets. Some local landowners described Manhattanville as a developing village in the New York City's Ninth Ward. Building lots were being advertised for sale "principally to tradesmen" in this enclave that already boasted a "handsome wharf," "convenient Academy," and an "excellent school." At this time the Corporation of the Common Council was laying out "wide and open" streets from the East River to the Hudson, where 300-ton vessels might lie in safety in the Cove. Already underway were a two-story frame "house of entertainment," a new marketplace, a daily inexpensive stage line as well as boat service commuting the eight miles between the city and village, and a ferry service to New Jersey.
Most residents of Manhattanville were tenant farmers or factory workers, and the village bustled with the trade and traffic of several small industries that would eventually include the D.F. Tiemann color works, a worsted mill, and the Yuengling Brewery.
Throughout the 1800s, Manhattanville's population increased and changed demographically. In 1823, about fifteen dwellings dotted the valley, which was populated mostly by poor British- and Dutc
The Bloody Angle - Gettysburg National Battlefield - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Pickett's Charge was an infantry assault order
ed by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee against Maj. Gen. George G. Meade's Union positions on Cemetery Ridge on July 3, 1863, the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War. Its futility was predicted by the charge's commander, Lt. Gen. James Longstreet, and it was arguably an avoidable mistake from which the Southern war effort never fully recovered psychologically. The fart
hest point reached by the attack has been referred to as the high-water mark of the Confederacy.
The charge is named after Maj. Gen. George Pickett, one of three Confederate generals who led the assault under Longstreet.
After Confederate attacks on both Union flanks had failed the day and night before, Lee was determined to strike the Union center on the third day. On the night of July 2, General Meade correctly predicted at a council of war that Lee would try an attack on his lines in the center the following morning.
The infantry assault was preceded by a massive art
illery bombardment that was meant to soften up the Union defense and silence its art
illery, but it was largely ineffective. Approximately 12,500 men in nine infantry brigades advanced over open fields for three-quarters of a mile under heavy Union artillery and rifle fire. Although some Confederates were able to breach the low stone wall that shielded many of the Union defenders, they could not maintain their hold and were repulsed with over 50% casualties, a decisive defeat that ended the three-day battle and Lee's campaign into Pennsylvania. Years later, when asked why his charge at Gettysburg failed, General Pickett replied: "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."
Plans and command structures
Pickett's charge was planned for three Confederate divisions, commanded by Maj. Gen. George Pickett, Brig. Gen. J. Johnston Pettigrew, and Maj. Gen. Isaac R. Trimble, consisting of troops from Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's First Corps and Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill's Third Corps. Pettigrew commanded brigades from Maj. Gen. Henry Heth's old division, under Col. Birkett D. Fry (Archer's Brigade), Col. James K. Marshall (Pettigrew's Brigade), Brig. Gen. Joseph R. Davis, and Col. John M. Brockenbrough. Trimble, commanding Maj. Gen. Dorsey Pender's division, had the brigades of Brig. Gens. Alfred M. Scales (temporarily commanded by Col. William Lee J. Lowrance) and James H. Lane. Two brigades from Maj. Gen. Richard H. Anderson's division (Hill's Corps) were to support the attack on the right flank: Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox and Col. David Lang (Perry's brigade).
The target of the Confederate assault was the center of the Union Army of the Potomac's II Corps, commanded by Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock. Directly in the center was the division of Brig. Gen. John Gibbon with the brigades of Brig. Gen. William Harrow, Col. Norman J. Hall, and Brig. Gen. Alexander S. Webb. (On the night of July 2, General Meade correctly predicted to Gibbon at a council of war that Lee would try an attack on Gibbon's sector the following morning.) To the north of this position were brigades from the division of Brig. Gen. Alexander Hays, and to the south was Maj. Gen. Abner Doubleday's division of the I Corps, including the 2nd Vermont Brigade of Brig. Gen. George J. Stannard and the 121st Pennsylvania under the command of Col. Chapman Biddle. General Meade's headquarters were just behind the II Corps line, in the small house owned by the widow Lydia Leister.
The specific objective of the assault has been the source of historical controversy. Traditionally, the "copse of trees" on Cemetery Ridge has been cited as the visual landmark for the attacking force. Historical treatments such as the 1993 film Gettysburg continue to popularize this view, which originated in the work of Gettysburg Battlefield historian John B. Bachelder in the 1880s. However, recent scholarship, including published works by some Gettysburg National Military Park historians, has suggested that Lee's goal was actually Ziegler's Grove on Cemetery Hill, a more prominent and highly visible grouping of trees about 300 yards (274 m) north of the copse. The much-debated theory suggests that Lee's general plan for the second-day attacks (the seizure of Cemetery Hill) had not changed on the third day, and the attacks on July 3 were also aimed at securing the hill and the network of roads it commanded. The copse of trees, currently a prominent landmark, was under ten feet (3 m) high in 1863, only visible to a portion of the attacking columns from certain parts of the battlefield.
From the beginning of the planning, things went awry for the Confederates. While Pickett's division had not been used yet at Gettysburg, A.P. Hill's health became an issue and he did not participate in selecting which of his troops were to be used for the charge. Some of Hill's corps had fought lightly on July 1 and not at all on July 2. However, troop
See also: valence drapes yellow drapes digital shutter speed outside mount roller shades windows blinds leopard theme busche drapery hardware plastic bamboo shades how to measure lamp shades roller blinds home